This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
Energy loss is a huge money pit.
On average people will lose a minimum of $5-10 monthly through energy loss in the home. In the winter time you are losing heat, during the summer time you are losing cool air. All year round you are losing electricity and water. You can decrease your energy loss and your money loss.
21 Places You Are Losing Money & Energy:
- Leaving the lights on
- Leaving appliances plugged in and on
- Light bulb wattage is too high
- Running the dishwasher half full
- Running the washing machine with too much water
- Letting the water run while you brush your teeth
- Long, hot showers
- Faucet taps that drip
- Leaky toilets
- Thermostat set too high, or too low
- Lack of insulation
- Thin uninsulated windows
- Air leaks around doors and windows
- Caulking missing around plumbing
- Air leaks around venting and chimneys
- A dirty improper running furnace
- Uninsulated, improper running hot water tank
- Air leaks around electrical outlets, lighting and fans.
- Lack of weather stripping on garage doors
- Lack of weather stripping on all exterior doors and windows
- Improper wiring
Did you know that the average home loses up to 33% of its energy out the windows and the doors!
That hard earned warm air in the winter and that cool air conditioned air in the summer is escaping and costing you money. And it is costing you more than just pennies!
You can decrease your energy loss out the windows and the doors with these few tips:
- Install weather stripping around all exterior doors and windows
- Inspect and repair all cracks around door and window frames
- Install weather stripping around the garage door and at the base of the closure
- Caulk all openings around doors and windows
- Install storm windows or purchase window insulators
- Install window tint film during the summer for a cooler room
- Ensure that all windows and doors close and lock properly
Do you realize how much water you lose if you leave the tap running?
Trust me everyone has done it. Left the tap running while you wash dishes or brush your teeth. Taken too long of a shower or left the water running while you shave. The average home wastes more than 10 gallons of water a day. If you have to pay for water that adds up.
You can decrease your water consumption by doing one thing.
Turn it off! Turn it off while you brush your teeth or shave. Turn it off sooner and have a shorter shower. Fill the tub less during bath time. Turn the water off and use the sink basins to wash dishes instead of using the constant running water.
Simple acts will save you tonnes of money in energy consumption.
Spend an hour inspecting all the doors and windows in the house. Inspect the fire places and furnaces to ensure they are all running at peak performance. Learn to unplug and turn off the lights and appliances. Actively think about how much water you are consuming. Repair , caulk and insulate all items that need to be fixed.
A few simple changes and you could see a major savings in your utilities bill.
Have an amazing day.
Saving & Simplicity