*This post may contain affiliate links to products we recommend and happily use.*
This post may contain affiliate links.
It takes a lot to run a home.
Think about it. I am not just talking about groceries, the rent or the mortgage. There are utilities, home repairs and landscaping. Home is where the heart is. Household expenses include the health and well being of the people in the home too. So add in entertainment, clothes, sports, school supplies and etc. It takes a lot to run a household.
Learn how to save money on household expenses.
Learn to save money on your household expenses with these 25 frugal living tips. Learn to turn things off, learn how to cut your grocery budget in half, learn how to budget. Living more frugally will help you put more money back in your savings account.
25 Frugal Living Tips To Save Money On Household Expenses
- Turn off the lights and unplug electrical items when you aren’t using them
- Hang your clothes to dry
- Only run the dishwasher or laundry machine when it is full
- Cook homemade meals instead of eating out
- Eat the leftovers, don’t waste food
- Drink more water and skip the pop and the juice
- Keep up to date on home maintenance
- Create a budget and use a cash envelope system
- Plant a garden and grow your own food
- Meal plan to save money
- Shop with your meal plan and a grocery list
- Shop local, shop the store sales
- Make your own household cleaners
- Learn to knit, sew and do your own household repairs
- Plan a no spend weekend
- Shop the thrift store for clothes and household goods
- Trade supplies and skills with your neighbors
- Take in free community entertainment
- Learn to say NO
- Invest in a good cook book and a slow cooker
- Learn to use what you have, cook with what is in the cupboards
- Use it up, mend it, re-purpose it, recycle it
- Buy energy efficient appliances
- Don’t be brand specific, eat and use what you can afford
- Be prepared for emergencies and rainy days
What is your biggest frugal living tip?
I get asked this all the time. I have a few to be honest. I am a BIG coffee drinker so we invested in a good coffee maker and stainless steel coffee mugs. This way coffee comes with us where ever we go and I am saving $2-$4 a day by not hitting the coffee drive thru.
I also use cash envelopes. I have small bank envelopes in my wallet separating grocery money, entertainment money and etc. You wouldn’t even know they were there unless I showed them to you. But this way I know how much money I can spend and what my budget is.
With our busy schedules I also find meal planning to be a huge time and money saver. We use My Freezeasy meal planning and I love it. Think about chicken mole, BBQ tacos, sweet and sour pork. They have gluten free options and they are a huge time and money saver. They even provide the grocery lists and recipes.
Saving money on household expenses is easy with a few frugal living tips.
The tips above may save you a few dollars here or a couple of bucks there. These tips are just suggestions. Look at where you are spending the most money to run your household and try to figure out how to cut back. Are you over spending on groceries? Are your utilities through the roof? Should you downsize to one car? Are you eating out everyday?
Try to live more frugally with less. Cut back on one or two things and see if it makes a difference.
Have an amazing day.
Saving & Simplicity