This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
Frugal living what is it?
It is living smart, using your money smart and living below your means and saving the rest.
This doesn’t necessarily come naturally to everyone. It didn’t come to us naturally until life and debt hit us right on the head. After job loss and re-evaluating what was actually important in life we started researching how to save money and what frugal living was all about.
You will be surprised how easy frugal living is and how much money it can save you. Below I have created a list of 50 of my favorite frugal living tips. Try one or try all of them they will help you save money.
50 Frugal Living Tips That Will Save You Money
- Use a budget and stick to it
- Grow your own vegetables and fruit
- Regrow fresh food from your kitchen scraps
- Can and preserve the bounty of the season
- Make your own bread and pastries
- Hang your laundry to dry instead of using the dryer
- Learn to sew and mend your clothes
- Wear it, mend it, re-purpose it
- Make your food from scratch
- Use a meal plan
- Don’t shop when hungry
- Eat out less
- Cook cheap recipe based foods
- Use your slow cooker
- Cook once and eat twice
- Eat meatless meals
- Eat beans and rice
- Make breakfast for dinner
- Brown bag your lunch
- Eat healthy on a budget
- Shop at your local thrift store
- Use coupons
- Order freebies and samples
- Buy in bulk
- Shop with a list
- Stop buying pop, drink water
- Enjoy cheap dates
- Treat family to budget friendly activities
- Cut the cable, cellphone or landline
- Turn the heat down
- Unplug electronics when not in use
- Make your own cleaners
- Use cloth napkins, ditch the paper
- Use reusable cloth bags
- Get a library card
- Enjoy super fun, super cheap activities
- Bike to work or take public transport
- DIY everything and anything
- Make your own gifts
- Buy and restore used furniture
- Buy or rent a house that fits your needs
- Shop at garage sales and flea markets
- Sell your old items online or at garage sales
- Shop around your cellphone, mortgage, banking plans
- Pay with cash
- Checkout your free local attractions
- Enjoy kids eat free places
- Play in the park or go for a hike it’s free
- Shop smart, don’t lead with temptation
- Share the abundance of your garden, your extra fresh bread, your old clothes or unused items
Bonus Tip: Be content. Be content with your life and your family. Don’t worry, be happy. I know it is corny but, if you are content with what you have you will stop striving and spending to keep up with the Jones who are broke anyway.
Have an amazing day.