This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
Spending time with your spouse is important, keeping on budget is important too.
Can you do them together? Yes, you can and you will be surprised at how much money you can save if you just put your heart and mind into it.
Sometimes the cheapest dates are the most amazing!
Both my husband and I work full weeks and I home school our son so we are a very busy family but, we make a point to spend time together and time is important!
I think the most romantic date we have done in the past few months was FREE and it was amazing. My husband took me for a moonlight stroll along the lake shore. The jasmine trees that lined the walk were in full bloom, the smell was amazing. Cherish the time you have together.
My husband and I have come up with a list of 75 FREE to Under $20 dates. Try one or two or try them all. Tweek them and make them your own but, most of all enjoy your time together.
Amazing dates that won’t break your budget:
- Go for a stroll
- Go swimming
- Go skating
- Take in a local sports game
- Go to the golf driving range
- Go fishing
- Go for a drive
- Play mini golf
- Play one on one basketball
- Workout together
- Take a walk in the park
- Go for a walk on the beach
- Go for a hike
- Take your dog for a walk together
- Go canoeing
- Do an overnight camp out
- Do a day camp at the lake
- Go to church
- Take a class together
- Have a craft/hobby night
- Play video games
- Write love notes
- Do a food truck sampler
- Be a tourist in your own city
- Grab your gear and go enjoy some R&R at the beach
- Tackle some household tasks together
- Do some window shopping
- Take a dance class
- Relax on your patio together
- Put the kids to bed early and spend time together
- Have a picnic in the park
- Keep it simple – order pizza and cuddle on the couch
- Do coffee and pastries at your local coffee shop
- Cook a meal together
- Plan a romantic dinner at home after the kids have gone to bed
- Have breakfast in bed
- Sneak off and have lunch together
- Do a brewery or winery tour
- Do a farm circle tour
- Shop the farmers market together
- Do a garage sale tour
- Flea market afternoons
- Checkout an art gallery opening
- Community festivals make great cheap dates
- Open air music concerts
- Church couple activities
- Do a museum visit
- Vintage car shows
- Go quading, spend time outdoors
- Wander your favorite spots
- Checkout the local provincial parks
- Camp out in the backyard
- Art in the park
- BBQ something special
- Plan a themed meal night
- Do a potluck couples date with friends
- Play cards
- Board game night
- Check out a street market
- Night market festivals
- Open mic nights
- Go bowling
- Cheap local theater productions
- Use your coupons and go for a cheap dinner
- Free movies in the park
- Community fairs
- Sit and talk
- Couples bubble baths
- Watch your favorite show together
- Pop popcorn and order a movie
- Eat dessert
- Cuddle by the fire
Bonus: If you have children try exchanging babysitting with another couple so you can both spend time with your spouse. This way you won’t be paying for child care and you know your children are safe and happy.
Tip: If you are in a long distance relationship and meeting up is hard. This is me and my husband when he works oil rigs in the winter. Set aside time to Skype, text, call or Face-time. Send each other romantic notes. Work hard to close the physical distance between you. We found open communication, even just texts of what our son and I were up to or how my husbands day was made us feel closer.
Spend time together, cherish each other, nurture your relationship. You can do this without breaking your budget. Have an amazing time together.