This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy for more details.
The following easy steps will help you organize your home and cut the clutter:
- Start with the junk drawer. Empty it out, keep the items you still use and recycle or donate the items you don’t.
- Make a plan to put things back where they belong. Organization starts with getting the household members to put things back where they belong.
- Clear the kitchen counter of clutter. Clean kitchen counters promote organization. Place items back in the correct cupboards or drawers. Grouping same items together.
- Get rid of unused items. Room by room, drawer by drawer, closet by closet downsize your stuff to the items you use. Donate or recycle the items you don’t keep.
- Upgrade your cleaning materials. Ensure you have a good broom, vacuum, mop, green cleaning solutions and cleaning rags. A clean home is an organized home.
- Ensure you have proper storage in each room. Take count of the items you are keeping and make sure you have shelves, drawers, baskets and bins to store them in.
- Learn when to say “yes” and when to say “no”. When clearing the clutter or when shopping make logical decisions about whether you really need “the stuff”.
- Swap kitchen storage containers to jars or see thru containers. When you can see what you have less food items will go to waste.
- Combine items. Do you have two or three of the same item open, combine them to organize and save on storage space.
- Recycle, re-purpose and donate. Donate your unwanted items to your local thrift store or have a yard sale.
Organizing the home can be a daunting task, but once you start it will happen at a real easy pace. The hardest part is starting, take my suggestion and start small with the junk drawer or junk bin. Then make a plan to go room by room through the whole house. Set a side a day or weekend to do your organizing so you don’t feel pressured and schedule it in your day planner so you follow through. Follow these 10 easy steps to a more organized home.
Have a great day.