Just over a year ago we cut our budget and started paying down our debt. This meant cutting most of the extras out of our daily lives.
We started living more frugally…..
When you start to live more frugally and live life on a budget you really start to notice where your money is going. Looking back I can easily pick out 3 things we spent money on that we shouldn’t have. We ate out too often, we bought too many toys and I said yes more than I said no.
On this frugal living journey I have come to realize ten real simple tips that save us a tonne of money. These tips are so easy you could start them today and notice the savings within the week. Try all ten or try one or two. You will save money!
Ten Frugal Living Tips That Save Us A Tonne Of Money:
- Using A Budget. Trust me spending the time to set a budget will save you so much money. We found hundreds of extra dollars once we set a budget.
- Using Cash Envelopes. I use the Dave Ramsey envelope system. I have small envelopes in my wallet and I divide the cash up on pay day and we spend accordingly.
- Using Meal Plans. Our biggest money pit was eating out. Now I use a meal plan system and we are eating homemade meals more often and saving money.
- Packing Our Own Lunches. Packing left overs or spending the time to make a brown bag lunch will save you money. Think about it most single meals out are $10 multiplied by five days a week. You could save $50 per week by making your own lunch.
- Using Coupons. Cutting coupons or loading coupons on our store cards has saves us over $50 a month. It is real easy to do you can checkout all the coupon sites here.
- Shopping Sales. Once you have your meal plan and your grocery list checkout your sales flyers and shop the items on sale. It is okay to tweak your meal plan around saving money.
- Planning Cheap Dates. I would rather a cheap romantic picnic with my husband than an expensive meal out. Checkout this list of 75 cheap and amazing date ideas.
- Enjoying Quality Family Time. You don’t have to break the budget to enjoy time together as a family. Here are 50 family friendly cheap entertainment ideas you will love.
- Setting Goals. Setting goals as a couple, knowing where you want your money to go and keeping your eyes on the prize will help you save money.
- Learning To Say NO! You may get some arguing but learning to say no will help you save money and you will be better off because of it.
Bonus Tip: Our family has saved a bunch of money using FREE or low cost community services such as the community recreation center, the library and the museum. As well as attending family festivals and events put on by our town. Getting out and being active in your community is great for your health and your wallet.
Our family does each one of these ten tips weekly if not daily and we save money. We are an average family trying to get our finances in order and we are being successful at saving money and paying down our debt. These ten tips work and they will help you get ahead. If you are looking for more money saving, debt reduction tips checkout Saving and Simplicity on Pinterest.
Have an amazing day.